// Art Exhibition
About the Event
The Arts Exhibition is an experimental laboratory for new digital art concepts, interactive immersion, character creation, storytelling, digital music, and innovative interfaces in games, virtual worlds, and digital entertainment environments.
Game development involves high qualified people and big efforts in arts and design. Nowadays, the amount of artists and designers in a game development team represents more than 70%. In this context, SBGames has been organizing, since 2004, the Art Exhibition aiming to motivate new talents in the field of games development and digital entertainment, as well as publicizing artworks of professionals, artists, and designers.
You are invited to submit pieces of digital artwork in any form: printed, video, audio, interactive installations, virtual reality, augmented reality, … .
The exhibition will be held in a charming neoclassic old mansion adapted to the tropical environment: “Solar Grandjean de Montigny” – the residence of the French architect Auguste Henri Victor Grandjean de Montigny who came to Brazil in 1816 as a member of the French artistic mission commissioned by D. João VI.
Call for Participation
The SBGames 2009 is now accepting entries for its Art Exhibition, to be held at the Solar Grandjean de Montigny, located at the Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro (PUC-Rio), from October 8th to November 6th 2009.
This year, the connection between video games and art will be approached from several perspectives at once, celebrating the diversity of uses of art in games and vice-versa. This is an opportunity to witness how videogames mature as an artistic media, and how they increasingly support several creative expression forms.
The entries are divided into the following categories:
- 1st Place: Primus Bacon - Larissa Fuchs Baptista e Arthur Protasio
- 2nd Place: Polinhas - Mônica Lopes Nogueira
- 3rd Place: Quayerhentium - Fernando Rabello do E. Santo
- Honorable: Sephius - Fernando Rabello do E. Santo
- O menino Azul - Gouramani Menezes Pereira Pombo
- Laura no reino do entardecer - Gabriel Mesquita Brasil Gonçalves
- Misandria - Amanda Ribeiro Duarte
- Ynainekã - Abraão Lucas Cardoso Affonso
- Duncan - Annita Wright Battelli L. da Cunha
- Art Games: A showcase for games addressing game art and design in innovative and poetic ways. This category embraces games from experimental webgames to fully-featured standalone commercial games that look at new directions for video games in content, themes, gameplay and interaction. Please note that we cannot support games requiring network or internet connection.
- In-game Art: A display for a diverse range of artistic material made for a game. These forms include, but are not restricted to, 3D models, 2D sprites, music, cinematic cut-scenes and matte painting. Please note that some entries may be adapted or translated into non-electronic illustrative forms to better suit the exhibition.
- Games as art tools: A section dedicated to all sorts of expressive, thought-provoking user-created content that go beyond the boundaries of the game universe to explore new relations to our culture and new forms of self-expression. These art forms include, but are not restricted to, films made with games (machinima), sim-fiction, game mods, game-generated music, character and level design. Please note that some entries may be adapted or translated into non-electronic illustrative forms to better suit the exhibition.
- Name of the submitted piece of work.
- Name of the artist(s) or group of artists.
- Brief description of the work (up to 70 words).
- Year of realization.
- System requirements (hardware and software) for games or other digital media.
- Image Attachment (or text) up to 10mb (largee attachments will not be processed).
- Link for downloading reproduction or original works (larger than 10mb).
- Adventure Quest - Richard Lovejoy, Chris Chappell, Jamie Marshall, Jim Hammer and Marc Borders. Photos (c) Kimberly Craven
- Alice in PuzzleLand - Renan Reis, Claudia Rodrigues e Thiago Neri
- AmbientRok - Edésio P. Souza
- Avalon - Overplay
- Búzios - Grupo de Pesquisa Comunidades Virtuais, vinculado ao Mestrado de Educação e Contemporaneidade do Departamento de Educação da Universidade do Estado da Bahia - UNEB
- Capoeira Legends - Donsoft Entertainment
- Cthulinária - Alvaro Cavalcanti, Caetano Borges, Raphael Aleixo
- Eu, Robô Poeta - Bruno Campagnolo de Paula, Marcos Flávio Paim
- Flow - That Game Company
- Gedda Cake - Amilton Silva Macêdo
- Gravitation - Jason Roher
- I Wish I Were the Moon - Daniel Bermengui
- A Luz da Escuridão - Fernando Rabello
- The Marriage - Ron Humble
- Music Box - Lindsay Grace
- Sky Over Half Moon Bay - Ron Humble
- The Passage - Jason Roher
- The Perfect Color - Mory Buckman
- Play With Fire - International Hobo
- Projeto Sobrevivência - Lumentech
- Today I Die - Daniel Bermengui
- Tríade - Grupo de Pesquisa Comunidades Virtuais, vinculado ao Mestrado de Educação e Contemporaneidade do Departamento de Educação da Universidade do Estado da Bahia - UNEB
- Wait - Lindsay Grace
- Winemaker - Overplay
1. Parla! LADEH First Contest and Exhibition of Character Design - Character Design:
Promoted and organized by the Story Design Lab (LADEH), a lab within PUC-Rio's Art and Design Department, the Character Design Competitive Exhibition will be held in conjunction with the other SBGames 09 Art Exhibition features. Click here to access detailed information such as important dates, submission guidelines, organizing committee, etc.
Submissions: From August 7 to September 8, 2009
Submission Posting Deadline: September 8, 2009
Selected Works Announcement: September 25, 2009
Exhibition Opening: October 8, 2009.
Exhibition: October 8 - November 6, 2009
Selected Works in Parla! Category:
2. Relationships between Games and Arts
This category is subdivided into:
Submissions to the category Relationships between Games and Art should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and should contain:
Selected Works in Relationships between Games and Art Category:
Art Exhibition General Organizer
- Chico Queiroz (PUC-Rio)